Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The View from the Hills

This was me at the top of the mountain-I conquered the upward climb. It was like you were so high that you could reach up and touch the clouds.

The hills in the very back of this picture are actually the mountains of Honduras.

Another distant shot of Honduras. The path that we tread was the same path that the people of Santa Marta and Victoria traveled under cover of night to avoid capture and torture by the military.




In one of my previous posts I talked about the fact that people were forced to flee from their homes in Santa Marta and in other small communities and flee into the mountains towards Honduras. I also mentioned that we had the opportunity to hike these same hills. I was lucky enough to be able to hike to Santa Marta from Victoria and also to make the return hike out of town. I was stilled by the stories that these hold...stories of struggle, of terror, and of perseverance. These hills contain the hopes and dreams of so many...some still living and some who have paid the ultimate price. These are some of my pictures. They don't even do justice to the incredible beauty and the majesty of these hills.









3 comments: